Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thankful

Tis the time of year to be cheesy and ober thankful so I know you all will not be surprised with this post.

I was not sure how this Thanksgiving was going to turn out.  It was mine and Preston’s first Thanksgiving married, but it was also the first and only Thanksgiving away from home.  After much deliberation we decided with all Preston’s interviews and flying around every weekend, it was not the best idea.  By default I had one of the most amazing Thanksgivings and weekends I have ever had.

Down the hall from us is a older man named Bob.  I don’t chat with him a ton because I have always gotten the feeling that he would rather be left alone.  We were planning a big thanksgiving with our across the hall neighbor( Leah ,our good friend and Pearls best friend) and I ran into Bob in the hall.  I was a little nervous asking him if he has plans for Thanksgiving, but I did anyway.  To my surprise he accepted and seemed very excited to join us.  On thanksgiving he changed from his worn out old jeans and his veterans  hat to a nice sweater and a pair of slacks.  We got all dressed up for the party.  As it turns out Bob has no one in the world.  He has no kids ,his parents are long gone, he has one sister who has very poor health in Minnesota.  He just doesn't have a soul in the world who checks in or to care about how he is doing. He was grateful for a a yummy meal and very rarely looked up from his food.  We had good conversation after dinner for a little bit and then he went home.

 

It really put things into perspective.  I am so so grateful for my situation.  For my loving husband and two loving, caring families that I know would do anything for us.  Every year when I have been dancing and singing with my family on Thanksgiving, Bob like so many others have been alone.  I am so glad he got to feel the love from us this Thanksgiving. I'm just worried about the next when we are gone.

BLACK FRIDAY post to come!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love that story!! maybe you can find some people in the ward that will invite Bob next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for hosting T-Giving! So ambitious!

    ReplyDelete